Marked (Eternal Guardians #1)

Marked - Elisabeth Naughton

I really did not like this book. The characters were enough to make me want to throw something with how annoying I found them! The story line was very boring. To me, it is just a re-hashing of the themes in Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark-Hunter series, with a new premise surrounding the heroes. Sorry to say it, but Ms. Kenyon did it better.

As far as I was concerned, Theron was a bully! I understood that he was not in love with his fiancé, Isadora, but he has no issue with getting it on with Casey! What a cheating jerk! Not only that, but he uses mind control to order her to "do anything I want", including sex. Not cool, Theron! To me, that smacks of rape. Why is that even considered romantic by the author? He basically gave her the magical equivalent of a roofie. She had no more free will and he wiped her mind clean. Yeah, not liking Theron at all.

Casey wasn't much better. I can totally respect her for working two jobs to keep herself afloat and pay the bills, that was the only good thing about her. She struck me as pretty spineless from the beginning, not using her brain much, and her actions were very unrealistic. For me, it was kind of unrealistic that Casey was supposed to be dying and yet she was constantly panting with the hots for Theron. She couldn't eat for days, but she was ready to get all hot and heavy anytime he looked at her. That just didn't jive to me. What caused me to give up on her completely was her slipping erotica into the book pile of an elderly customer at her bookstore, who told her she didn't want any books with sex in them. I'm sorry, but that's a really crappy move and Casey went from being just a normal spineless, brainless heroine in a romance novel to being a complete jerk like Theron. If a customer says, "No sex books, please" you don't put erotica in there without telling them! And make them pay for it!

Sadly, though I got this one for free, I wound up picking up the rest of the series over the years through various sales, and ended up wasting my money, because I definitely won't be finishing this series!