Unlucky in Love (Lucky #1)

Unlucky in Love (The Lucky Series Book 1) - Jill Sanders

DISCLAIMER: I RECEIVED AN ADVANCE DIGITAL COPY OF THIS BOOK THROUGH NETGALLEY IN EXCHANGE FOR MY HONEST REVIEW!!

Despite having purchased several of this author's works in the past, this is the first time I've actually sat down and read any of her work. For a first introduction, this wasn't a bad story, but I wound up wishing for more.

Things move quickly in this story and while the heroine believes she is cursed, we don't actually get the reason why until a bit late in the story. Kristen seems to be a flighty character when it comes to men and managing money, and she very much came across to me as needing to be taken care of.

Aiden comes across as ruthless and untrustworthy, but somewhat likable as well. He was always there to "rescue" Kristen, and we see very little more than that from him until near the end of the book. For me, there wasn't much to recommend him as "hero" material.

There's a liberty taken with the religion mentioned in the story that I really didn't agree with. A true Wiccan would not "curse" anyone with bad luck, because their tenant is "Harm none, for what you do comes back to you times three." It showed the author's ignorance about the religion, just because the practitioners can consider themselves to be witches. For me, it was an insult to my husband's religious beliefs, and a poorly used plot device.

Overall, the book was a light-hearted and quick read, but for me, characters felt flat and almost one dimensional, and liberties/errors taken soured my enjoyment of the story.