First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson #1)

First Grave on the Right - Darynda Jones

I didn't have much time to read this, but once I got to the halfway point on it, I just couldn't put it down! It had somewhat of a unique premise for me, which got me interested in it in the first place, but I never would have expected what I got out of this!

It reminded me of a few of my favorite Paranormals from the past, and some of my not so favorites too. Charley was a mix of Anita Blake, Cat Crawfield, and Sonja Blue, but she was more than that too. I loved her wit, her inability to stay down when she took a beating, and her tenacity when presented with a mystery or a problem to solve.

Reyes was a mystery, but his big reveal was not what I was expecting! I was shocked by it, and I immediately started thinking of Piers Anthony's For Love of Evil in relation to him. He was a very complex and richly written character.

The world building wasn't overt, but it was there toward the end of the book and very entertaining to read. The characters were engaging and interesting to read about. The book was very well written and I am eager to read more in this universe!