Under a Velvet Cloak (Incarnations of Immortality #8)

Under a Velvet Cloak - Piers Anthony

I'd been so excited to hear that this had been published, but it would take me years before I could actually get my hands on a copy. After reading it, I wish I hadn't been able to access a copy!

It's a much shorter book than the previous ones, and the characterization, plot, and content all seem to suffer for it, as they come across as much weaker than other books in the series, especially since the plot was tied to the Arthur myth, as if it couldn't stand on its own. I'm no prude, but the sexual content is bizarrely out of place and excessive, since it's not even well written sex scenes. Piers Anthony tells us in the author's note that much of the book was based on the notes of a fan who spent time reading through all of the previous seven books in this series in order to pin down connections and possible dates that events took place, as well as a 3 page summary written by another fan of the series. Well, the book reads kind of like both of those have been smashed together and fleshed out a bit. It seems that the point of the book is just to tie up a bunch of loose ends, and the independent story of this novel is pretty unsatisfying and largely confusing, especially since there were some typos that jarred me out of the story. It's like what I read wasn't a story, but more of a history timeline for the Incarnations series set in an alternate universe.

If you're a fan of the Incarnations series, skip it. I wouldn't even recommend it to a non-fan!