Summer at the Comfort Food Cafe (The Comfort Food Cafe #1)

Summer at The Comfort Food Cafe - Debbie Johnson

This is the third time I've attempted to read one of the author's works, and the third time I've closed the book and felt very lackluster about the whole thing. This story really dragged along for me, as it chronicled Laura and her family's summer in Dorcet. I really had a hard time connecting to Laura. Her grief was really raw, even two years after her husband's sudden death. I couldn't understand why she hadn't moved on, as if her entire life was her husband and she couldn't exist without him, even for the sake of their kids. That may mean that I don't have that kind of all consuming love with my own husband, but I could identify with the "he's my best friend" mentality that Laura had. Laura's constant tears became very annoying to me. Matt was a good distraction, and I liked how he tried to bring her back to herself, but I hated how she pushed him away at the end. The secondary characters were great and ultimately redeemed the book for me from a 1 star rating, but I think it's more of a case of I don't like the author's writing style. I think I'll be avoiding her from now on.