World of Warcraft: Illidan

Illidan: World of Warcraft - William King

I've been a fan of the World of Warcraft game for quite a while now, and inevitably my fandom led me to exploring the lore a bit more in depth. I got my start in the game during the Burning Crusade era, so reading this book was a bit like returning to my game origins, for it is the novelization of the events in Outland of that entire expansion. However, it is so much more than that. What this book does is ties the events that occur in Outland during the Burning Crusade era to the upcoming events in Legion, through a sub-plot involving the Night Elf Vandrel and his quest for vengeance against the Burning Legion.

What I found most interesting was the fact that no one actually took the time to sit down with Illidan and discover what his true motivations were. Basically, here he is, the one unique person that can describe the Legion's plans in detail and his own plans for defending Azeroth, and yet every person on the planet and in Outland hated his guts! He wasn't the Betrayer, he just was trying to defend his homeworld. It makes him the most misunderstood Villain in the game.

To me, this was well worth the read. Makes me really want to go back to Outland, quest through the zones, see the sights that were discussed in the book, then run the raids to see how this all wove together. I hope we see more of this lore to come!