Hard Rules (Dirty Money #1)

Hard Rules - Lisa Renee Jones

DISCLAIMER: I RECEIVED AN E-ARC FROM THE PUBLISHER THROUGH NET GALLEY IN EXCHANGE FOR AN HONEST REVIEW. RECEIPT OF THIS BOOK IN THIS MANNER DOES NOT AFFECT MY OPINION OF THE BOOK OR THE CONTENT OF MY REVIEW!

I'm sorry to say it, but I hated this book! The blurb says it's a "Wall Street meets the Sons of Anarchy" type of book, but that couldn't be further from the truth! It definitely has the Wall Street vibe, but it's mixed more with War of the Roses and The Godfather than anything else.

The Brandon family is full of drama, deception, and backstabbing. This made it difficult to connect with any of the family members, let alone care about them. Shane was supposed to be the good one, the one with a moral compass, and yet he was a complete and total jerk when it came to Emily, coming off as a possessive and controlling a-hole more so than anything else.

Emily was a bit of a mouse of a heroine. She's supposed to be this strong woman, it seemed, and yet she submitted to practically everything Shane wanted from her. She also has this deep, dark secret, that I believe is tied to the events of the first chapter, but there's so much vague innuendos and deception that it was hard to tell.

One of the biggest problems I had with this book was the fact that nothing is well explained. After reading it, we're left with more questions than answers, especially with a cliffhanger ending. It read more like a serial than an actual full length novel! Considering how much I hate serials and cliffhangers, this was not a good way to leave things for me.

This was my first introduction to the author and her work, but if this is indicative of her writing style, I will be avoiding her work in the future. As it is, I definitely would not recommend this book to others, and won't be continuing the series!