Remember When (In Death #17.5)

Remember When - J.D. Robb, Nora Roberts

I think this is the book where Roberts announced that she is J.D. Robb, but I really feel that it could have been better done. This book has since been split into two separate books: Hot Rocks and Big Jack, but I think that splitting the book has done it a disservice as it really needs to be read as a whole to capture the nuances completely.

The first half of this book is the Hot Rocks half, and I have to say, I wasn't that impressed with this plot! Lainie and Max had nothing of the courtship or romance, they just have sex a couple of times and it's insta-love! I had a hard time believing it, as I had a hard time believing that Lainie's friends would just totally accept that she's been lying to them for years! I would have hard feelings over it, and it just was hard for me to suspend disbelief there. The heist story was interesting, but the villains actions were very predictable. 1.5 stars for this half.

The second half is Big Jack, and it is much better done! The villain is again predictable here, but their crimes were not. It was interesting to see where everyone had ended up and get Eve's look at the now 50 year old crime. The pacing was faster, and there was more excitement overall. Just a much smoother story, and we didn't have the messy entanglements of a new romance to deal with! 3.5 stars for this half.

All things considered, this was an interesting addition to the series, and one definitely worth checking out!