Fourth Grave Beneath My Feet (Charley Davidson #4)

Fourth Grave Beneath My Feet - Darynda Jones

I'm a bit torn about this book. For the first half of it, I really disliked it, to the point where I was considering quitting it and the series. Encouragement from a buddy read partner kept me going on it, and the second half of the book did get better.

The problem I have is not a lot is explained or has a logical reason for it and there is not a lot of forward progress on the "War for the Portal" overall plot. Granted, this story had a lot more info about that plot than the previous two books combined, but it is still very frustrating to only get dribs and drabs of it at a time!

Charley's attitude got old as well. The whole "I'm scared to see my apartment corner where I was tortured, I'm mad at my dad, I'm mad at Reyes, I'm totally fine with everything now!" thing got really old, really fast! The whiplash of emotion just wasn't working for me.

What I did like about the book was the case Charley took that got her out of the house. I thought it kind of interesting, and wasn't expecting the twist that took, as I was too focused on the Charley side of things. That plot thread really saved the book for me!

All in all, I'm hesitant to continue the series past what I have already purchased for it. We'll see where I stand after book 6.