Star Trek: The Next Generation The Stuff of Dreams

The Stuff of Dreams (Star Trek: The Next Generation) - James Swallow

DISCLAIMER: I RECEIVED AN E-ARC FROM THE PUBLISHER THROUGH NET GALLEY IN EXCHANGE FOR AN HONEST REVIEW. RECEIPT OF THIS BOOK IN THIS MANNER DOES NOT AFFECT MY OPINION OF THE BOOK OR THE CONTENT OF MY REVIEW!

I'd originally gotten a copy of this a few years ago, and promptly forgot about it. With the changes to Net Galley, it came to my attention that I had never read or reviewed this title, so I set about correcting that error.

If you are unfamiliar with the events of Star Trek: Generations, I highly recommend you investigate that movie/movie novelization before attempting to read this book. I was slightly lost, due to some new races/alliances that had been discussed in other books, but it was easily overcome, as most of this story focuses on the Nexus phenomenon and not those events. I was pleased to see that this was a worthy conclusion, for now, of the Nexus story, and the events that led up to that conclusion. It was especially interesting to see the revelations as well as the realizations that Picard came to while in the Nexus a second time. It made me pause and think about my own choices and life, which is always a good thing for a book to do.

However, I thought it could be so much more than it was! Things felt rushed, and not well explained, and it just felt like there were large chunks of it missing for the sake of brevity. I would have much preferred to see this as a full fledged novel, rather than a short novella, but I am glad that I took the time to read it nonetheless.