Empire of Storms (Throne of Glass #5)

Empire of Storms - Sarah J. Maas

Over the course of this series, it got off to a rocky start with The Assassin's Blade collection of short stories, and leveled out as a great read for me, but this one blew it all to hell and remade it into a much better version of itself!

With this book, the author ties the events of each of the short stories in The Assassin's Blade to the final events of this one, making it crucial, in my opinion, to read those short stories prior to starting the series! Aelin finally unites the two halves of her identity with what she does in this book, and I thought it was very well done indeed!

The book starts out strong and does not let up at all over the long course of it. There are new parings between characters, lots of surprises and sacrifices, tons of battles for allegiance and to protect others, all for the sake of Terrasen and Aelin's court. I was surprised at her strength, as well as her fortitude in weathering everything that was thrown at her. Her ultimate sacrifice at the end of this book left me in tears!

All things considered, an excellent addition to the series, and I can't wait for the next book!