Mechanical Hearts

Mechanical Hearts - Nicole Blanchard I RECEIVED AN E-ARC OF THIS NOVELLA FROM THE AUTHOR IN EXCHANGE FOR MY HONEST REVIEW!! BEWARE OF SPOILERS BELOW!!

The premise of both this novella series and this particular book sounded interesting to me, but this one fell rather flat in the end to me.

There's not much world building done, so when Caroline did her initial shift, my first thought was "What the heck happened? How did she shift into a different plane?" The question was never answered. Instead, more piled up: What sparked the war that made the land so toxic? What reason was there for the mechanical mutations? How did they help the survivors of the war adapt to living on the ocean floor? Why could Caroline survive in the Otherworld when her Aunt changed so drastically? Why did Caroline's father never attempt to get back to her? It made for difficult reading.

The characters themselves were decently written, but their mannerisms did not allow me to believe that they had suddenly fallen in love with one another, enough that Caroline would want to stay with Ezra in his world? They didn't spend enough time with one another for that sudden dynamic shift to be believable!

The plot felt a bit choppy to me at times, full of sudden shifts that had me going "Wait, what happened now?". I realize that the author was probably under a word count limit, but the story really didn't flow smoothly at all. However, the steampunk element was fairly interesting, despite the lack of world building done.

All in all, I'm not sure I would continue to read the author's work. I would definitely have to check out her other works from the Library first. I definitely can't recommend this book to others, though, but I am still interested in looking at the series more.