Outsider

Outsider - Olivia Cunning DISCLAIMER: I RECEIVED AN E-ARC FROM THE PUBLISHER THROUGH NET GALLEY IN EXCHANGE FOR AN HONEST REVIEW. RECEIPT OF THIS BOOK IN THIS MANNER DOES NOT AFFECT MY OPINION OF THE BOOK OR THE CONTENT OF MY REVIEW!

I've said in the past that this author's books is my yard stick when it comes to Rock Star romance novels. I've enjoyed most all of her works, and I wind up comparing any other Rock Star Romance novel to hers when I read them. While I've been waiting for this series for a while now, and this book in particular, I have to say I was disappointed with this installment overall.

The first major disappointment I had was that the first 15-20% of this story was nothing more than a rehashing of the entire plot of the previous book in the series, just retold from a different perspective! Having just read that story a few days prior to reading this one, I really didn't need the retelling, and I felt that there really wasn't much new information/emotion conveyed in the regurgitated material.

Reagan, Ethan, and Trey are in a poly-amorous relationship, and this story is about how they're trying to make that relationship work. For me, it felt like Reagan and Ethan weren't invested in making it work, just protecting their reputations, privacy, secrets. Trey was the only one I felt was truly invested in seeing the relationship succeed, and most of the time he fought a losing battle. The relationship was never well balanced, despite repeated mentions of Reagan's attempts to make it that way. I felt that the characters were childish overall, not discussing things among themselves as a threesome, but mostly in pairs and then telling the left out person what was discussed. I would think that in any relationship like this, you'd need excellent communication between all members at the same time to make things work, and these characters didn't show that. The ensuing "drama" fell rather flat for me, causing me to find it boring and detrimental to the overall story being told.

With all the negativity I've mentioned about the book already, it may be unclear as to why I've rated this 3 stars. When you take all the sex and repercussions of that relationship out of the equation of the book, you are left with the interactions of the other members of both bands and a furthering of the mystery behind Exodus End's contract. We got to see a lot of Sinners characters in this book, and see a lot more closure between Trey and Brian Sinclair than we had in that series' books. I really appreciated that! I also liked that the mystery went much deeper than what had been discovered in the previous Exodus End book. I also liked the introduction of the all female metal band, it reminded me of Jem and the Holograms a bit, and I'm looking forward to seeing more about them!

All things considered, this was a decent installment of both series that it is tied to, but not the best in either of them. It was hampered by the childishness of the main characters too much for me to give it any higher praise than that.