Shift

Shift - Sidney Bristol DISCLAIMER: I RECEIVED AN E-ARC FROM THE PUBLISHER THROUGH NET GALLEY IN EXCHANGE FOR AN HONEST REVIEW. RECEIPT OF THIS BOOK IN THIS MANNER DOES NOT AFFECT MY OPINION OF THE BOOK OR THE CONTENT OF MY REVIEW!

After the slow disaster of the first book in the series, which was read very close to this one for clarity purposes, I didn't hold much hope for this story. Sadly, it was as bad as I had feared it would be.

The book was once again very slow moving, which made it suffer early on, even with it being set two months after the events of the first book in the series. While it did pick up eventually, after two books with the same formula of snail-like slow movement early on, then rocket fast finish, I was ready to call it quits on the series by the end of this one.

I liked Tori as a character overall, though her secrets went much deeper than I had thought. I admired her survival in the face of significant odds and liked how she kept her sense of humor, spunk, and identity throughout it all. I liked how she didn't give up on Emery, even though he wasn't the easiest man to fall in love with.

Emery was not a good fit for me. I couldn't see him in the field agent role he kept putting himself in, for one. For another, he was extremely hard to connect with. I get that he's got tortured soul syndrome going on, but he came off entirely too controlled for what he had gone through. I kept wanting him to get angry and confront his family!

While there was a bit of a small mystery forming in this book, it was not enough to keep me interested in the series. I think this will be my last read by this author, as I've not enjoyed much of what she's written that I have read.